[OM] Another gadget obsoleted.

Subject: [OM] Another gadget obsoleted.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 16:26:10 -0800
I figured the i-gotU would eventually be made obsolete by in-camera GPS. As
yet, the GPS in the Sammy WB650 and Canon
S100 fall short of ideal.

I got some pretty bad locations from it in Seattle. Heavy, water laden cloud
cover, occasional rain, trees and tall
buildings may be blamed, but I noticed the iPhone always seemed to know right
where we were when I used it to navigate
our walks, not blocks to miles away.

So I took a look at apps. This afternoon, I went out to take another couple of
New Years Day pix:

As walking through the yard, start free app, GPX Master.
Tap 'Start Logging'.
Take some pix just across the street.
Tap 'Stop Logging'.
Drag GPX file already synced to Dropbox folder to image file folder.
Start GeoSetter.
Select directory.
CTRL-A, to select all images.
Click on icon.
Accept default to look for GPX file in image directory.
Message box says locations were found for all images, accept.
Same for Raw (ORF) file folder.
Done.

Very accurate, in this little test. Not only more accurate than the i-gotU
often is, but far less fuss and bother. I'll
probably run them in parallel on the next extensive photo opportunity.

At least in part newer GPS hardware, I suppose. But I wonder how much may also
be soft/firmware smarts. Programming to
ignore obviously spurious GPS data should be pretty easy. Drop any that are
obviously wrong, hold those that look off,
wait for a few good, consistent reads, interpolate bad data and use held data
that proves to be consistent with later data.

If Apple does it in the OS, apps would just have to access the corrected GPS
data.

All the geotagging apps warn of poorer battery life from running GPS all the
time in background. I have no idea as yet
how that will play out. It is so easy to start and stop tagging that one need
not leave it on - but I would probably
forget to turn it on at least part of the time. ;-)

I assume there are similar apps for other platforms.

Geographically Positioned Moose