Re: [OM] Another gadget obsoleted.

Subject: Re: [OM] Another gadget obsoleted.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 16:37:42 -0600
> I wonder how these app work without cell coverage, i.e., no internet?

Well, I have first-hand experience with this using my Nexus Android
cellphone. The phone has no problem tracking where you are at, but the
maps (until very recently, using a new app) don't actually reside in
the phone. So you get your position arrow tracking on a blank screen.
The new offline mapping capability changes all that, but that was just
a few weeks ago.

The cellphone makes a lousy GPS device because of the excessive power
draw. My Garmin will last a couple of days on a pair of AA batteries.
Cellphone will go an hour or so.

> FYI I picked up a Montana 600 series and it is very nice! We are using
> it to map local trails.

Sweet! One of these days I'd like to get a high-end GPS like that, but
my bargain close-out special eTrek serves it's purpose pretty well and
combined with the phone normally covers me well enough. $70 something
bucks.

> I use openstreet <http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/> for the maps.
> I refused to buy a Garmin product until good open source maps were
> available.

That is where I'm at too. No more paying to stay current with maps.
After the second upgrade, you're better off  just buying a new unit.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx