Re: [OM] IMG: Slurp!

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Slurp!
From: "philippe.amard" <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 23:43:36 +0100
Le 2 janv. 13 à 23:27, Peter Klein a écrit :

> Folks, let me assure you that no humans were harmed in the making of
> this photo. The dog was licking the boy on the cheek. There was
> nothing, uh, French about the doggie kiss. :-)

A disclaimer: Not every Frenchman would like such a kiss either ...

The rabies vaccine was initially created by Emile Roux, a French
doctor and a colleague of Pasteur who had been working with a killed
vaccine produced by desiccating the spinal cords of infected rabbits.
The vaccine had been tested only on 11 dogs before its first human
trial.[2][9]
This vaccine was first used on 9-year old Joseph Meister, on July 6,
1885, after the boy was badly mauled by a rabid dog.[9] This was done
at some personal risk for Pasteur, since he was not a licensed
physician and could have faced prosecution for treating the boy. After
consulting with colleagues, Pasteur decided to go ahead with the
treatment. Meister did not contract the disease. It is sometimes said
that Pasteur saved the boy's life, but this cannot be maintained with
certainty, since the risk of contracting rabies after such an exposure
is estimated at around 15%.[14] Nonetheless, Pasteur was hailed as a
hero and the legal matter was not pursued. The treatment's success
laid the foundations for the manufacture of many other vaccines. The
first of the Pasteur Institutes was also built on the basis of this
achievement.[9]
Legal risk was not the only kind Pasteur undertook. In The Story of
San Michele, Axel Munthe writes of the rabies vaccine research:
Pasteur himself was absolutely fearless. Anxious to secure a sample of
saliva straight from the jaws of a rabid dog, I once saw him with the
glass tube held between his lips draw a few drops of the deadly saliva
from the mouth of a rabid bull-dog, held on the table by two
assistants, their hands protected by leather gloves.

Louis Pasteur portrait in his later years
Because of his study in germs, Pasteur encouraged doctors to sanitize
their hands and equipment before surgery. Prior to this, few doctors
or their assistants practiced these procedures.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Pasteur

Amitiés
Philippe, over the pond ;-)

to the eye. Antoine de Saint Exupéry in Le Petit Prince.