[OM] IMG: Another Image From the Past

Subject: [OM] IMG: Another Image From the Past
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 18:57:34 -0600
Cc: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
During WWII, service men frequently sent home B&W 8x10 photos to commemorate
completion of some phase of their training.  This one was sent home by my
mother's brother when he was training as a gunner aboard the Navy Grumman TBF
torpedo bomber.   His group went on to serve aboard the USS Franklin in the
South Pacific.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Navy+Training+Group.jpg.html

He is second from the right in the front row, where he marked an "X".

On October 30, 1944, the "Big Ben" was hit by a series of kamikaze attacks.  My
uncle was killed that day and buried at sea.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA