Re: [OM] Film holders for Chromega 4x5

Subject: Re: [OM] Film holders for Chromega 4x5
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 14:05:05 -0600
> I have one problem with you plan. If you mount the 2x6 over the drywall, you
> will allow for more vibration, as the drywall is more flexible with the
> bolts and 2x6 basically standing a half inch in the air. I would cut out a 5
> 1/2 inch piece of drywall and both screw and glue the 2x6 to the studs.
> Bridge several studs, not just two.

Hmm. I'm also having to think in terms of resale issues...

I was thinking that a nice, tall (maybe close to full wall height)
slab of 2x6 bolted to the studs would be good enough. As this is a
supporting wall, the studs should be a little more stable. But
considering the weight of the enlarger being cantilevered so far out
and up from the mount, I'm not convinced it will be rock solid. Maybe
I need to use an 8' section of 4x6" or 4x8" douglas fir.

Another option would be to hang a slab of thick OSB or particle board
and mount the 2x6 onto that. OSB has the advantage of distributing the
load across a 4x8 area of wall, but would also absorb vibration from
the stereo in the next room... OSB (and fiberboard) tends to not set
up vibrations like plywood does. But I'm trying not to make this too
complicated. (or expensive).

AG

--
Ken Norton