Re: [OM] Another gadget obsoleted.

Subject: Re: [OM] Another gadget obsoleted.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 18:10:36 -0500
I don't think you read my link.  It discusses an *apparent* proprietary
signaling system in 12V/USB chargers that iPads recognize and Androids
do not.  A high current charging device such as an iPad or Android
tablet needs to be aware of the USB connection and, if it's attached to
a computer, throttle itself back to the maximum current draw specified
for a USB port on a computer (0.5 amp IIRC).  However, if the charger is
simply a USB connector connected to a 12V outlet in a car then the
device can safely draw 2 amps or more.  Certain of these 12V chargers
will rapidly charge an iPad since the iPad somehow knows there's a high
current capacity automobile on the other side of the USB connector.  The
Androids typically do not since they don't understand whatever the iPad
is doing to realize it's charging from a car rather than your laptop.
The recommended charger in the link is one that does allow an Android to
draw 2 amps for charging... depending on which of the 2 USB sockets it's
connected to.

There's a lot of detailed engineering study in that link.

Chuck Norcutt