Re: [OM] Lenses, Cameras and family events

Subject: Re: [OM] Lenses, Cameras and family events
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 20:07:33 -0800
On 1/4/2013 4:51 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2013, at 10:48 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
>
>> Now that
>> Canon has fixed the body problem (sucky ergonomics now fixed), they
>> can go back to killing the competition with sensor tech.
> Yep, they don't seem to have any APS-C sensor that outperforms the Sony
> on MFT.  If the sensor on this rumored new guy is the same, seems to be
> throwing good money after bad to me.

Interesting assumption here, that sales of the M are below those Canon
planned/desired. If it is economically
successful, it doesn't much matter what you, I or reviewers have to say.

Clearly, Mr. Zhang is better at putting up a good looking blog and writing than
at some technical matters.

While firmware tweaks may improve focus speed, they are not going to solve the
underlying problem. Canon's existing
lenses are designed for PDAF. Fast, effective focusing with CDAF requires
different optical and mechanical designs. I
and others have written about this at some length.

Oly is the poster child for this. They bit the bullet and abandoned their
considerable investment in lens designs for
PDAF on DSLRs 4/3 to start over again for CDAF on mirrorless cameras. The
result is AF fast enough to best most DSLRs.

That seems an unlikely way for Canon to go. I've sort of assumed that they must
be working on a way to include PDAF in a
mirrorless camera. Nikon (and Sony?) have designed sensors with special PD
sensors built-in, to give fast hybrid AF on
mirrorless cameras.

> Perhaps other improvements will emerge  though with this iteration.

Or perhaps this fellow is mis-informed, and the key feature of the next M will
be fast AF using a different system. Some
folks have been known to become viewfinder obsessed to the point of ignoring
other factors. :-)

> http://tinyurl.com/bxbcksy
>
> Not holding breath, Mike

Breathing Easy Moose