Re: [OM] OM List Gallery

Subject: Re: [OM] OM List Gallery
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 09:20:28 -0600
> I am also not sure what happened, I suggested a new Tope with the only
> change being that while TOPE stipulated that equipment used must include
> at least one olympus item changes to you must be a list member and to
> reflect the changed times I did suggest a new name TMOL Themed Members
> OM List but the list could come up with something else. Out of respect
> for TOPE and Olaf I think that the original should be left alone and if
> he decides to resurrect it then I am happy to follow the original rules
> for that i.e. use at least one olympus item.

We can name it anything we want, but "TOPE" is kinda like "Aspirin" now.
It's pretty well embedded into the vernacular of this community and the
meaning is pretty clear even if the description isn't. Kinda why I have it
built as a subsite named "tope2". If anybody wants to buy a URL, it can be
directed to this site and named whatever we want.

> I have no interest in using zone10 for my gallery stuff at the moment
> although that may change so I think that side of things should be kept
> separate from the new TMOL on Zone 10 (or TOLM or whatever)  gallery to
> which images should be uploaded and moderated by a couple of moderators.
> I don't object to the request that themes can be revisited but wonder if
> there is any real need as there are so many possible subjects.

What I personally like about this setup is that each of us can have our own
galleries on the site and then we can choose a photo from our gallery to
place in a specific TOPE event gallery. This way, the image appears in both
places. I can look at an event and your one picture is there, or I can look
in your gallery and see all of your images that you've used for all events
as well as anything else. It's up to the individual whether to post TOPE
only images or images that they just want to share with the list without
going through the usual gyrations of "I ain't going to look at it because I
don't use that Facebook thing".

For the TOPE application, that's my "trial and error" TOPE gallery. I was
hoping that some of you would play with it by "replicating" a photo into it
and then making comments. I'll whack the "trial and error" gallery as soon
as we're comfortable with the settings and put up our first real TOPE
event. With the gallery tree structure, the user galleries and tope
galleries are in parallel to each other and when you click on the tope
gallery, you see each of the event galleries under that.

As to default settings on size. At the moment, 800 pixels is the standard
viewing size. I do believe I can take that to 900 without causing
widespread grief. If you all want 900 pixels as the standard, I have no
problem with that and will make the change.

> Thnaks AG for offering to host it.

You are welcome. It's been something that has been quietly offered more
than once, but the timing/demand never was right. When it came up this
time, the zone-10 solution was easy to implement.

> Proceed with what? This started as TOPE replacement.
> Now it seems to have morphed into a general purpose display gallery
> for list members.

Well, we could dumb it way down so it is single-purpose. From a back-office
perspective, it makes no difference to me other than having the individual
user galleries actually simplifies things a little.

> I'm not sure I need/want that. I already have a gallery set up that I, at
least, find easier to navigate.
> And it sure is easier to post stuff on. AND, I've just started moving to
or adding a blog style for
> image 'galleries', which several people said they preferred viewing...

I'm not sure how much you are staying up with trends in website/blog stuff,
but there is a trend now moving away from the blog style of the past
decade. One of the biggest reasons has to do with Facebook. The other big
reason is mobile-device viewing. The linear blog is transforming a bit.

Speaking of mobile-device viewing, the slideshow feature is a plugin
provided by a company that makes an iThingy app that supports the
finger-swiping feature. I'll post more when I learn more.

Continuing to look for more feedback, folks.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx