Re: [OM] OM List Gallery

Subject: Re: [OM] OM List Gallery
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 09:32:28 -0600
On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We can name it anything we want, but "TOPE" is kinda like "Aspirin" now.
> It's pretty well embedded into the vernacular of this community and the
> meaning is pretty clear even if the description isn't. Kinda why I have it
> built as a subsite named "tope2". If anybody wants to buy a URL, it can be
> directed to this site and named whatever we want.
>
> I have no problem sticking with TOPE.  It's a name we know.

> What I personally like about this setup is that each of us can have our own
> galleries on the site and then we can choose a photo from our gallery to
> place in a specific TOPE event gallery. This way, the image appears in both
> places. I can look at an event and your one picture is there, or I can look
> in your gallery and see all of your images that you've used for all events
> as well as anything else. It's up to the individual whether to post TOPE
> only images or images that they just want to share with the list without
> going through the usual gyrations of "I ain't going to look at it because I
> don't use that Facebook thing".

The only online gallery I have, aside from Facebook (which I only use for
casual photos) is Flickr.  I like having the opportunity to have a
nice-looking gallery on the Zone-10 site as well.  I will stick with Flickr
for my PAW project, and toss the occasional photo up on the Zone-10
gallery, and this time around, I will participate in any TOPE's offered.

> As to default settings on size. At the moment, 800 pixels is the standard
> viewing size. I do believe I can take that to 900 without causing
> widespread grief. If you all want 900 pixels as the standard, I have no
> problem with that and will make the change.
>
> Sounds OK to me.

> Well, we could dumb it way down so it is single-purpose. From a back-office
> perspective, it makes no difference to me other than having the individual
> user galleries actually simplifies things a little.
>
> And as I mentioned above, I like having my own gallery.  I also enjoy
browsing the work of other list members all in one handy place, without
having to go to a dozen different sites.

> Speaking of mobile-device viewing, the slideshow feature is a plugin
> provided by a company that makes an iThingy app that supports the
> finger-swiping feature. I'll post more when I learn more.
>
> That interests me.

Ken, depending on how much time is involved, I would be willing to help
with some administration.
--

Paul Braun
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard