Re: [OM] OM List Gallery

Subject: Re: [OM] OM List Gallery
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 05:37:43 +1300
Just to take up on a couple of points made by Moose -

I think that a significant attraction of TOPE was the enforced discipline ( not
strictly enforced, but if one were to enter into the spirit of the thing, it
was
something that was self-imposed) of sticking to the given topic.

This was a challenge, as one had to take the time and make the effort to
meet the topic rule. Not always easy; not at all. The end result though was
worth it as one could see how each member was able to provide and
interpretation of the topic. Personally, I like challenges.

Without that limitation I think we will all get bored with it as everybody adds
whatever images they happen to feel like posting at any time..

Secondly, at the moment, and for the foreseeable future (the crystal ball has
significant clouds though), I will have broadband, so image size doesn't
matter. I certainly wouldn't want to see the enjoyment of all to be cramped
out of consideration for just me.
Broadband certainly can be wonderful when its going well.
For example, Philippe just sent us the URL of one of his contre-jour shots. I
thought I might grab a copy for my personal enjoyment. To my surprise it
turned out to be NINE MB !!  And it came along in a flash ( not a pun).

And to change the topic yet a bit more, I am now using Mozilla Firefox
Aurora browser. Chrome is now side-lined permanently, except for some
specific duties. Mozilla does not put my HDD through the contortions that
Chrome does, and the presentation seems comfortable. My only grouch is
that Firefox, as for the older Opera browsers I have,  gets totally paralysed
if
given the job of opening a pdf file encountered in a google search. This
usually results in 10 minutes being spent getting the system back on track.
Chrome handles these files with (hackneyed phrase) consummate ease.

Brian Swale