Re: [OM] OM List Gallery

Subject: Re: [OM] OM List Gallery
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 14:43:06 -0800
On 1/7/2013 2:05 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> I hope this one goes well. I really dislike the social media for image
>> posting.
> What I really dislike about it is how those social media sites are
> constantly attempting to take your content for their own purposes.
> Also, there is that little issue of their resize algorithms which
> really stinks up the show. I've got the quality setting at 95%,
> whereas FB's is set down around 65%.
>

>> I'm waiting until things settle down to decide whether to even try it out.
>> Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good
>> thing. I'm just not sure how many places I want to post images, other than
>> for special events.
> You'll have to sign up and post an image to your own gallery before
> being able to participate in the TOPE events. Also, in case you
> haven't realized it, to see anything larger than a reduced image (and
> make comments) you have to be a registered user.

Yes, well, threats are always in style.

>> I'm not attracted by the look, nor by the annoying admin interface, if it is
>> like Gallery before...
> But, a few posts ago you were praising the LUG implementation.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. In the first instance, I was commenting only
on the viewer's interface. And I only
know whatever aspects of that I see when Jim, Phillipe and others link to an
image there. I see the image, in a small
screen friendly format, with a box of the most recent thumbnails to the right.
Often, there is a little double box icon
I can click on to see the original size that was uploaded.

In the second instance, I was talking about the interface for the gallery
users. I have no experience with that on LUG,
since I'm not a LUGite. I assume it's much like other Gallery installations

> I'm
> trying to do the same.
>

>> Once I have the images ready, I can have a new gallery up in Singapore in
>> seconds.
> Hehehe. This is where modern technology is coming in. There really is
> a short and sweet way of uploading images that makes your Singapore
> implementation seem crude and soooooo 1995.

I don't use the Singapore menu admin if I can avoid it, which is most of the
time. It's not particularly bad, less
clunky and more stable than some others I've used, but still slow and annoying.
To make a gallery, I open FileZilla FTP,
choose a bookmark, add a directory, and drag the images into it. That's all

I've got it set to use XLS files for admin.  If I do want to mess with image
order, add comments, etc., I just open the
spreadsheet, make changes and save it.

Singapore has plenty of limitations. Speed and ease of gallery/image management
when bypassing the admin. menus isn't
one of them.

So what you got up your sleeve that's better?

Singapore Noodles Moose