[OM] Some good (and cheap) American beer: was, A bit of humour for my Br

Subject: [OM] Some good (and cheap) American beer: was, A bit of humour for my British and American friends
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 19:21:37 -0500 (EST)
Hmmm,

Per Moose there are many many exceptional and even World Class Brews in
US now.
Undoubtedly some of the commercial brewers that put out swill w/o
competition for years are shaking in their boots and these pseudo-craft
beers are part of the answer.  Craft breweries now compose over 9% of
all brew by $$ but about 6% by volume---a steady increase.

63118 at least is billed as a Pilsner in the classic American style.
It is brewed with is brewed using Hallertauer and Tettnang hops but
they are difficult to detect.  I certainly wonder about cheap
adjuncts---i.e corn.
It is certainly decent but would only receive overall average grades .
Seems to miss the overall crisp character of its genre.  I think a tad
of marketing ploy by A-B is at work, but better than the typical
stuff produced by them.  Not saying that the enjoyment/$$ ratio may not
reasonably fit the bill for some, but exceptional examples of this
style can be had for just  barely double the very cheap price of
admission.
Perhaps some substantial bias against A-B is at play and a blinded
trial would be appropriate, but I think the result would not be too far
off.

My 2c, Mike