Re: [OM] Flash score

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash score
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 23:39:07 -0600
On 1/7/13 19:55 : , Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The FL-50 and T-32s being hot shoe flash units can be mounted on light
> stands and triggered with this inexpensive optical trigger
> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAGULL-SYK-3-Hot-Shoe-Flash-Light-Remote-Optical-slave-Trigger-for-Canon-Nikon-/250888270544?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item3a6a1b32d0>
>
> The T-45, however, isn't a hot shoe flash and you'll need a PC
> connection to trigger it if it's not being driven by an OM TTL body.
> That requires this optical trigger which is the same as the other one
> except for the addition of a PC socket for the T-45's PC connector
> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/SYK-4-Optical-Slave-Flash-Trigger-For-Hot-Shoe-Flash-/370539122604?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item5645da4fac>
>
> Or, for the $1 difference maybe you'd like them all to have a PC socket
> for maximum future versatility.
Yes.  I've only used the T45 when it was attached to the OM4t with that
little TTL jumper.

I'll take a look at those slaves you recommended.
> But you will need some light stands to hold the flash units and maybe
> other accessories like umbrellas, umbrella adapters, etc.
Will gradually acquire stuff.  I have a couple of light stands right now.
> As long as you can fire one flash directly from the camera all you need
> on the other flash units are optical triggers.  Unlike Ken I have not
> been happy with my cheap sets of ebay radio triggers.  Too many times it
> doesn't work at all or works intermittently.  Life is too short for
> those kinds of problems.  Even if you don't have any flash triggered
> directly from the camera you can get by with one transmitter and one
> receiver and fire everything else optically.
I'm happy with optical.
> If the flash units are being used with no light modifiers that block the
> sensor you can put them in auto mode and control the output of each
> individually with the ISO slider.  If you're using them behind umbrellas
> or softboxes though they need to be in manual mode.  The problem with
> T-32s it that they only have 2 power levels so you'll have to be
> creative on how to control the light intensity.

This is all just for fun and learning anyway.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard