Re: [OM] Lightroom image management

Subject: Re: [OM] Lightroom image management
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 09:12:51 -0600
> I tried Carbonite and after several weeks of backing up my files, I was
> contacted by my ISP and told I was using way too much bandwidth and they
> were going to increase my fees astronomically.  I discontinued the back-up
> and haven't tried again.

Yeah, I can understand that... Bandwidth hog, you.

There's an old adage that no data connection is faster than an
airplane full of hard drives.

I believe in keeping a backup off-site (and in a different town). This
off-site backup doesn't have to be a daily backup, but the principle
is that you NEVER have all of your backup eggs in one location at one
time. This means that you have three copies of the data. One is your
active live system, the other is a backup dive on-site and the third
is a backup off-site. You do a backup to the on-site drive, then haul
it to your off-set site and exchange it.

With the recent trend towards wide-spread disasters, I would consider
the unthinkables. Could a tornado or tornado outbreak destroy both my
home/office and the bank? Flood? Hurricane? Tsunami? Wildfire?
Earthquake? Civil unrest? Is the backup site in a floodplain? Is it
near a major highway, railroad, gas pipeline, nuclear powerplant or
rocket factory?

In the industry I work, these are all considerations we have to think
about. I'm familiar with loss of primary and backup data sites in
Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy. The Japanese earthquake/tsunami/nuclear
meltdown. The mega-tornado that rolled through Huntsville. And others.
I'm kinda a student of these things. As a tactical planner in the
telecom industry, it is kinda my job to come up with all sorts of
scenarios which can boggle the mind. But just when you think you've
seen everything, there is something else that screws up the equation.

However, there is no total elimination of risk. All you can do is
manage the risk to the level of financial investment worthy of the
protection of the content or service. In my industry, we "harden" the
networks, but we can't make them totally disaster-proof. In fact, the
problem with making things "idiot-proof" is that the idiots are highly
creative.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx