Re: [OM] Recent Images [was IMG: Trust, Color]

Subject: Re: [OM] Recent Images [was IMG: Trust, Color]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 22:01:10 -0500
I haven't commented on some of these images lately because my main
comment would have been the same on most.  DoF is so shallow that it
hurts my eyes to look at them.  Perhaps you were forced to shoot wide
open in very low light but some of the results (in my mind at least)
aren't usable. It's too bad since there are important things being
portrayed here... but I just don't enjoy some of them because of
technical problems with DoF.  I'm not bothered as much by the
inconsistency in color that Moose mentions but it would certainly be
noticeable if you tried to present a body of work covering one place and
one time.

You need to start ruthlessy editing before you scan for effect or, as
Moose explains, you're never going to get done.  Maybe there are, say,
10 projects you worked on that you consider most important.  Rank them
from 1-10.  Imagine you were going to produce a photo book for each
project.  What tells the story?  25 images, 50... 100?  Work on the
*stories* one at a time, set a limit and adhere to it.  Get ruthless.

Having said that I can't do it myself.  I'm too tied to specific images.
  But my wife has no such trouble.  She can swing a very broad sword and
knocks the life out of 90% of what I show her.  :-)

We can comment and criticize but if you give us, say, 4/day... um, how
many hundreds of thousands of images did you say you have?  You planning
on 9 lives?  Actually, I'm sure 9 is nowhere near enough.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt