Re: [OM] Recent Images [was IMG: Trust, Color]

Subject: Re: [OM] Recent Images [was IMG: Trust, Color]
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 08:55:55 -0500
I spent a week with Maggie Steber, former photo editor for AP and NYT,
trying to learn to edit my photos.  She went through over 5000 of my
Honduran photos, quickly giving them a rating from 1 to 5.  It was a
tremendous help to get her opinion of those 5000 photos but I still didn't
learn to edit my own work.  She advised me to scan everything and donate it
all to a library before I die.  It will probably take me another 20 years,
scanning constantly.

I love shallow depth of field, by the way.  The Noctilux wide open is my
favorite lens.  I got more positive comments about those portraits than
anything I've posted lately, giving me more problems with my editing!

Thanks,

Tina

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Chuck Norcutt <
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I haven't commented on some of these images lately because my main
> comment would have been the same on most.  DoF is so shallow that it
> hurts my eyes to look at them.  Perhaps you were forced to shoot wide
> open in very low light but some of the results (in my mind at least)
> aren't usable. It's too bad since there are important things being
> portrayed here... but I just don't enjoy some of them because of
> technical problems with DoF.  I'm not bothered as much by the
> inconsistency in color that Moose mentions but it would certainly be
> noticeable if you tried to present a body of work covering one place and
> one time.
>
> You need to start ruthlessy editing before you scan for effect or, as
> Moose explains, you're never going to get done.  Maybe there are, say,
> 10 projects you worked on that you consider most important.  Rank them
> from 1-10.  Imagine you were going to produce a photo book for each
> project.  What tells the story?  25 images, 50... 100?  Work on the
> *stories* one at a time, set a limit and adhere to it.  Get ruthless.
>
> Having said that I can't do it myself.  I'm too tied to specific images.
>   But my wife has no such trouble.  She can swing a very broad sword and
> knocks the life out of 90% of what I show her.  :-)
>
> We can comment and criticize but if you give us, say, 4/day... um, how
> many hundreds of thousands of images did you say you have?  You planning
> on 9 lives?  Actually, I'm sure 9 is nowhere near enough.  :-)
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 1/8/2013 6:07 PM, Moose wrote:
> > You posted a few images of people waiting at the eye clinic. They are
> wonderful in subject, moment captured and
> > composition. But most of them make my eyes go all funny looking at them.
> >
> > I know, I know "focus on the eyes". But fuzzy noses, sticking forward
> like 3D, just don't look good to me.
> --

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com