Re: [OM] Recent Images [was IMG: Trust, Color]

Subject: Re: [OM] Recent Images [was IMG: Trust, Color]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 09:14:19 -0600
> all to a library before I die.  It will probably take me another 20 years,
> scanning constantly.

Well, there. You have a 20 year goal in life. No checking out early.

> I love shallow depth of field, by the way.  The Noctilux wide open is my
> favorite lens.  I got more positive comments about those portraits than
> anything I've posted lately, giving me more problems with my editing!

I'm going to greatly disagree with the Moose and others on this. Those
portraits with shallow DoF are a particular style of photo (face on,
eyes only in focus) that is popular for a type of exhibit. It seems
that most PJs will do at least one set of those covering one
particular subject in their life. The name of the photographer slips
my mind at the moment, but a couple of years ago there was an article
in the National Geographic of some remote tribe in Africa. The guy
photographed it with a medium-format Fuji rangefinder, I think, and
the article was largely illustrated with these exact same photographs.
I wouldn't want every article to be like that, but NG seems to publish
them every decade or so.

When I do portrait work for people, I try to get one or two shots like
this. It's a cool shot and I really like it from an artistic
interpretation perspective, but I've never sold one.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx