Re: [OM] New to TOPE Galleries

Subject: Re: [OM] New to TOPE Galleries
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 11:59:49 -0800
On 1/10/2013 11:21 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> See, here I am not communicating clearly again. And I used to be a
> journalist. <g>

> FWIW, I uploaded another B&W, which I spoke of earlier, to the TOPE. This one
> I sized at 1600 ppi. I wonder how it appears on various monitors. It's still
> relatively small on mine, but it's less than 1750, which Philippe said fits
> his 24-inch iMac.

I think you are letting nomenclature confuse you. "This one I sized at 1600
ppi." If you post an image 1600 pixels wide,
as you have done, with a setting of 1600 ppi, which you have NOT done, AND IF,
as AG posits, there is a computer setting
that puts that into effect, the image on screen would be 1 inch wide.

What you should have meant to say is "This one I sized at 1600 pixels wide."
(The actual dpi setting in the image file
is 72. There is no separate ppi setting stored in image data.)

My screen is 1680 pixels wide, so this image just barely fits in the width. It
doesn't quite fit the height.This would
be true whether my screen were 6" or 60" wide.

As it happens, my screen is about 15.6 inches wide, so it displays images at
about 102 ppi. About the only time this is
meaningful is if one wants an image on screen to be a specific physical size.
To make an image appear 6 in. wide on my
screen, it should be 612 pixels wide.

ALL that matters, for the vast, vast majority of viewers, if not all, is the
absolute size in pixels.

IF, as AG posits, there are folks out there with computer displays that
actually read the dpi setting in images and
adjust the image on screen accordingly, the 72 dpi/ppi of this image would make
it 22 in. wide. HOWEVER!! If it is a
digital screen, and the actual pitch of pixels on the screen is different than
72 ppi, the image will look terrible, as
the display pixels and image pixels won't line up.

Counting pixies has always been tricky. ;-)

Moose On Display