Re: [OM] New pic up on TOPE

Subject: Re: [OM] New pic up on TOPE
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:14:05 -0800
On 1/10/2013 11:25 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> The image described below is now in my gallery at Zone-10/TOPE.
>> http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=741
> Bob, I generally don't like critiquing other people's images, but I'm
> going to channel my inner Moose for a moment.
>
> The image, in it's current form, really isn't doing anything for me.
> The balance just isn't right. It's as though the image wants to fall
> over backwards. I was just zooming around with the iPad and prefer it
> a lot more if the top half of the image is cropped off. The low and
> wide nature of the crop echos the low and long nature of the subject.
> The hazy sun just doesn't do anything for me up there, but might be
> fine if cloned before the crop.
>
> Now returning Moose to his regular channel.

Oddly enough, I think it is balanced. I don't think I like it too very much,
but don't find it unpleasing as it is. I
can easily see how someone might like it a lot. It has a Zen quality to it.

There are images that look great on screen, but would not wear well large on a
wall - and the reverse. I think this one
might wear well.* (Although in a print without so many blown highlights in the
rocks, lower left.)

Zen Moose**

* Disclaimer, I may have seen this in a print?

**Well, not really. I do believe that Zen (and perhaps Chan?) is the closest
active, organized spiritual practice in the
contemporary world to the ancient Tao, as opposed to contemporary Chinese
Taoism. However, the pictures of the Zen
masters on their books all seem to show deeply lined faces, with heavy brow
furrows and what look to me more like frown
than smile lines. I'm not convinced.