[OM] OM-D E-M5 spec excitement

Subject: [OM] OM-D E-M5 spec excitement
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:56:57 -0500
Wednesday I went to a local nature preserve to join an Audubon sponsored
bird walk.  I thought of taking the 5D until I also thought of the
blunderbuss 80-200/2.8 that I'd also have to take if I wanted the least
chance of catching a bird.  I have nothing longer for the 5D unless I
attach my 1.5X teleconverter.

So I decided to take the Minolta A1 instead with its 28-200 equivalent
zoom.  That certainly lightened the load with the downside being that
the A1's 320x240 pixel EVF doesn't allow seeing much more than that some
subject is out there.  I was surprised when I got back that I had gotten
a few decent shots.  But there was nothing exciting.  Well exposed and
in focus but not exciting.

But what was exciting was sitting there staring at the A1 and wondering
how its physical specs matched up against an E-M5.  I practically got
giggly when I realized that the E-M5 with 12-50 zoom and battery weighs
only 1/2 ounce more than the A1.  And the E-M5 with 14-150 zoom (28-300
equivalent) is only about 2 ounces heavier.  The E-M5's body is slightly
wider and taller than the A1 but is also considerably thinner.  I
suspect that their total volumes must be about equal as is the weight.
Anyhow, now I just need to go buy one.

I don't know if it will replace the 5D but something will, at last,
replace the A1.

Chuck Norcutt