Re: [OM] IMG: Pt. Lobos Redux

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Pt. Lobos Redux
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 14:50:51 -0800
On 1/12/2013 12:36 PM, Robert Adler wrote:
> Decided to redo the Pt. Lobos image from last weekend. Better IMO:
> http://www.getdpi.com/forum/members/rga/albums/bob-adler-start-album/4549-pt-lobos-redux.jpg
> Hope you enjoy,
> Bob
>
> First one posted is here:
> http://www.getdpi.com/forum/members/rga/albums/bob-adler-start-album/4491-pt-lobos-formations.jpg

I can see why the extra sky makes for an attractive image. OTOH, the visual
energy, to me, moves away from the rock
formation itself to the broader context, of which it becomes only a part. That
the sky is so dramatic, and draws
attention, makes it much less about the rock formation.

So from a compositional standpoint, I like them both, for different reasons.

Processing is also different. Some of the mid to farther parts of the rock are
a little soft, kinda smudgy, in the
first. In Redux, although smaller, surface detail and texture is more clearly
defined, which I like here. That looks to
be a result of more aggressive processing, something I have been known to do,
as well. :-)

It almost looks like one more step and it would look overdone, a little like
overdone HDR, but to my taste, it stops
before going overboard. I always hope to manage that myself.

Composed Moose