Re: [OM] TOPE2 -totally off topic - now coffee

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE2 -totally off topic - now coffee
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 18:59:53 +1300
Ken wrote

> Brian, can you expand on your coffee instructions a bit? So you pour the
> steamed coffee over the coffee grounds. What do you do with the coffee
> grounds? Are you screening it out somehow?
>
> In our household, we use Starbucks as our performance enhancing drug of
> choice. But we've also got a world-class coffee machine to work with.
> Fine-tuning the recipe to the machines makes all the difference. My
> espresso is NOT bitter. Well, once in a while I have a "fail" but not
> often.
>
> Strong, dense, soupy, thick, etc., may describe it, but I absolutely
> cannot stand fruity, tart, bitter, tangy...
>
> I was trying to help someone this weekend with their espresso machine. It
> was a POS steam machine like you get at any normal store. I gave up after
> five tries to get anything even remotely drinkable. And I was using my
> beans.

I'll see if I can persuade a cafe to let me photograph their machine in action,
and give me an explanation.  If I actually buy a cupful they might deign to let
me photograph it ...

Other sides of the argument from my perspective are that the decent coffee
maker machines probably cost as much as an OMD5 or whatever sequence
of numbers and letters are currently in use, plus a couple of lenses.

And coffee beans cost way more per cup (non-wholesale prices)  than
instant coffee, even good instant - and as I wrote previously, I'm not sure
that any of them taste good in my mouth.

In my current cynical mode ...

Brian Swale