Re: [OM] IMG: Fast asleep at 320 km/h -Chuck

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Fast asleep at 320 km/h -Chuck
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 06:45:45 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Well, when you've experienced slow steam trains in younger years you
>may regret the jerks, smoke, smell and noise; I don't.
>In fact when at full speed you don't hear much noise and can talk
>quietly, or listen to other passengers at the other end of the car
>telling on the phone how much they love the one they left on the
>platform on departure ...
>
>Travelling TGV Est from Metz, my place, to Paris takes 80 mn for about
>300km. Faster than crossing Paris on the tube/metro.
>
>More on the train
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TGV

     I rode the TGV Sud-Est to Geneva back in 2000 when it was still in the
original silver and orange livery.  I had wanted to ride it since it was first
placed in service, and I was not disappointed.  Even so, I won't hesitate to
ride behind steam.

     Those trainsets have long since been overhauled to the second generation
Atlantique (or is it Réseau?) configuration.  Still slower than the newer
equipment, but well suited for the slower route along the Rhone valley.

Chris