Re: [OM] speed limits, was My first photo of 2013 - Redneck Santa

Subject: Re: [OM] speed limits, was My first photo of 2013 - Redneck Santa
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 12:51:27 -0800
On 1/17/2013 12:18 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Umm... 10% at 70 mph is 7 mph which is more than 11 kph.  Just what I
> said... 3 kph is a pretty fine line.  But that wasn't my point.  My
> point was that one needs to spend an inordinate amount of time
> monitoring your speed with such a narrow tolerance.  Time spent closely
> monitoring the speedometer rather than the road is much more dangerous
> than 4 or 5 kph over the limit.

There is a logical solution that's good for safety, anxiety and blood pressure,
and really makes no difference in any
larger context. Leave earlier or plan to arrive later, set cruise control below
speed limit, relax. Do the math, and ask
yourself if the time difference really matters.

Not claiming that's what I do ...

Last night, I tried Google Maps for our return drive from Pacific Grove to
home. It offered the right routes, but said
it would take 2 hrs, 48 minutes, with moderate traffic. Obviously wrong, so I
ignored it. As it turned out, I was
feeling slightly heavy footed. Calif. doesn't allow any of the speed traps
discussed here and they can't track from the
air at night. So an eye out for CHP cars, appreciation for those willing to go
even faster, thus clearing out the way
ahead, knowledge of actual vs. indicated speed and the allowance CHP gives for
speedometer error and light to moderate
traffic meant I could pin the cruise control at an indicated 70-72 most of the
way, arriving in almost exactly 2 hours.

Not sure why I was feeling speedy. Need for a modest shot of adrenaline, reason
to stay alert? Half an hour later would
have made no difference at all.

Semi Speedy Moose