Re: [OM] Coffee Espresso Machine.

Subject: Re: [OM] Coffee Espresso Machine.
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 07:18:03 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>It seems that recent studies don't agree with the regular intake of extra
>"nutrients".
>Wouldn't a balanced diet suffice most of the time?
>My take is yes.

     And you would be correct in saying so.  However, as we get older the
absorption of certain nutrients lessens, especially zinc.  In addition, the
long-term accumulation of certain other elements, especially cadmium and lead,
makes the problem worse.  Cadmium, for instance, displaces zinc and impairs
immune system, kidney, and liver functions.  Cadmium is most commonly found in
processed foods as it is a component of galvanized coatings on processing
machinery.

     The best resource that I have found for nutrients in food is
http://www.nutritiondata.com/ and it's a very good reference for formulating a
dietary plan for balanced nutrient intake.

     Food sources for zinc are difficult to come by, especially in vegetarian
diets.  Oysters, Shiitake mushrooms, and oyster mushrooms rank high and are
readily available.  Zinc fortified cereals are a bit of an oxymoron as there is
an enzyme in cereal grains that inhibits the absorption of zinc, or so I've
been lead to understand.

     Potassium depletion is a serious problem for high blood pressure
(hypertension), and it's equally serious in cases of dehydration.

Chris