Re: [OM] Shutter Shock (Return of the absent minded.) [was Question]

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter Shock (Return of the absent minded.) [was Question]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:19:06 -0500
If you look at the bottom of a T-32s foot you'll see that there is a
plastic cam between the two non-triggering contacts.  This cam lifts
those contacts off the surface of the foot.  Then, if you look at an OM
flash shoe designed for TTL flash you'll see that it has a recess in the
front for the contact lifting cam to drop into.  That sets the contacts
back down onto the appropriate electrical contacts in the shoe.

So, when you place a T-32 into a foreign hot shoe the flash's electrical
contacts don't actually make contact except for the center trigger contact.

But I have used Sunpak flashes with OM TTL module on my Canon 5D with no
trouble despite the fact that the Sunpaks don't have the lifting cam.  I
had no qualms about using the T-32 in the E-M5.  But I'm not sure about
the Canon 540-EZ.

BTW, getting flash sync at 1/320 vs 1/250 was a nice bonus.

Chuck Norcutt