Re: [OM] Kodak 3v lithium batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodak 3v lithium batteries
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 14:53:51 -0800
On 1/20/2013 8:12 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
> I'll try those.  These are the ones I got:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000632T3/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
>
> And they're supposed to be compatible, even according to the Olympus
> manual.  But it takes forever to charge the flash, if it ever does, and
> then one pop and it won't recharge.  And this is after a full charge in a
> charger that's supposed to be specifically for them.

Do I misunderstand? Are you trying to recharge these? They are one-shot, not
rechargeable.

Don't confuse Lithium batteries with Li(thium)Ion batteries. (As has just been
done in the subject line of the thread
ChrisT just started about Li-ion, rechargeable batteries for 4/3 E-thingies.)

The Eneloops Chuck linked to are indeed the answer. I use them in all sorts of
things. Long shelf life with minimal loss
of charge, lots of power, highly reliable. Waaaay cheaper than one-shot
alkaline or lithium batteries for extended uses.
Much higher energy capacity than alkalines.

Not safe for some really old things, like the Oly T18 and Quick Auto flashes,
that depend on internal resistance of
alkalines as part of the charging circuit. They can deliver enough amperage to
fry such things.

The earliest Eneloop charger would charge individual batteries, but for some
years, their own chargers will only charge
pairs. With the advent of various flashlights and other devices that use one,
three, or other odd numbers of batteries,
this is a problem.

I use the older design Eneloop charger as a secondary device, but primarily, I
use a La Crosse Technology BC-700
charger.
<http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-BC-700-Battery-Charger/dp/B000RSOV50/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358721529&sr=1-1&keywords=lacrosse+bc-700>

I think I paid less than this for it, perhaps elsewhere, and a few years ago.
It does all kinds of fancy stuff,
including discharge cycling, for NiCad and NiMH batteries. But mostly I just
like it for a really smart charge with
individual circuits for each battery. They have a couple of similar sounding
models. I don't know the differences.

A. A. (A.) Moose