Re: [OM] Diminution of the Language?? [was Coffee Espresso Machine.]

Subject: Re: [OM] Diminution of the Language?? [was Coffee Espresso Machine.]
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 11:39:31 +1100
The French Academie tried to do so, especially to resist ;franglais' but it was
a losing battle.
The Cal. legislation is designed to control suspect operators - to attempt to
regulate an industry.
We have similar regulation and certification but it's a form of surrender.
There were better terms available..
Natural is a nonsense - cyanide is natural, some quite nasty pesticides and
herbicides contain naturally occurring substances and some 'organically
approved' fertilisers such as composts and treated excrements contain very
toxic materials indeed;
One of my favourites is the story of the shampoo that had 'sea weed' extract -
it sounded positive/natural in the style of aloe vera and so on. In fact, the
extract was merely agar agar, used to thicken it to make it seem richer and
better value. Some ad agency flack must have spotted it in the list of
ingredients, asked what it was and then put spin on it. It's not toxic but it
has no particular benefit for hair. It's like adding flour and claiming 'with
natural wheat extract'.

I had a whole generation of students who thought that Macca's was a restaurant
- a creeping concept capturing the clueless.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com
Author/Publisher: The SLR Compendium - http://www.blurb.com/books/3732813