[OM] OM-D -- very belated thoughts

Subject: [OM] OM-D -- very belated thoughts
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 17:27:13 -0800
Dan:  Thanks for putting that together, and for confirming yet again
that it wasn't such a bad idea to buy it.  And it's nice to see my home
state through someone else's eyes. That waterfall curtain shot is
especially wonderful. Columbia Gorge?  And maybe the cherries shot isn't
a true macro, but it's sure big enough for me!

I'm more of a Leica M shooter.  The Panny G1 was my first EVIL camera,
this is my second.  Initially I got the G1 as an "everything else"
camera, and to experiment with my old OM and Leica lenses with
through-the-lens viewing and digital immediacy.  Then I used the G1 a
fair bit because of its convenience. And because I went through two
frozen shoulders in two years, and a micro 4/3 kit was very small and
light.  I laughingly called it "Boris" because it was "Good-Enough."
But only just.

The OM-D is light-years ahead of the G1 in IQ, low light and dynamic
range.  It does so many things, so well.  I still prefer the
range-viewfinder, no-blackout way of seeing where it works best. But
there's a lot of other territory where the OM-D really shines. It's not
much of a compromise anymore.

--Peter

Dan Mitchell (danmitchellmvps.org) wrote:

 >  I actually got my OM-D last June, and have been meaning to write up
some
 > thoughts
 > for ages and ages. So here's a bunch of photos from a trip in
July/August last