Re: [OM] Confession, and a little confusion [was Panny 20mm/1.7 DOF]

Subject: Re: [OM] Confession, and a little confusion [was Panny 20mm/1.7 DOF]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 21:18:58 -0800
On 1/20/2013 8:54 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> On 1/20/13 22:52 : , Bill Pearce wrote:
>> I got the hood for my 14 off Amazon, and it is the same one listed for the
>> 20, and it works. ...
>>
> This is the one I'm using:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057LX9H8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

It appears many people are using those successfully. I've opted for the rubber
hood for three reasons.

It folds back for compact storage without unscrewing it.

It allows the cap to be used easily.

The lens barrel that extends slightly when turned on and moves forward and back
when it focuses seems to me to be the
most vulnerable part. Assuming relatively light, plastic gears and light motor,
I'm guessing running into something hard
with a rigid, metal hood could put undue strain on the focusing mechanism.
Rubber will tend to deform and absorb, rather
than pass on, the shock.

I'm imagining that their design decision to have the barrel retreat slightly
into the bezel when off may be to protect
that mechanism. It would keep pressure from a camera rested on the lens off the
mechanism. As they warn against anything
heavier than a filter, I'd guess they are also concerned about the
weight/leverage of a heavy adapter.

Anyway, the deed is done, at least for now. Whether the B&W name means the hood
will be any better made than others is
still to be seen. It looks much the same as some generic brands. But at $8 for
a 9 grade used one, it's hardly more.

Made In The Shade Moose