Re: [OM] OM-D -- very belated thoughts

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D -- very belated thoughts
From: danmitchell@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:14:12 -0700
>Dan:  Thanks for putting that together, and for confirming yet again
>that it wasn't such a bad idea to buy it.

  I jumped on one back when they were still a bit hard-to-find because I
 wanted something more pocket-sized to take on the upcoming trip, and
 have had no cause to regret it so far. It's not that I take more good
 photos than I did before, it's that I take fewer accidentally bad ones..
 The chances of a photo being lost by being out of
 focus/motion-blurred/too dark/etc are that much smaller, so the problems
 are much more my fault than ever before.

  Interestingly, I haven't felt a whole lot of urge to buy more lenses.
 I'm tempted by the zuiko 75-300, but that's expensive enough that I can
 live without it for now; I have enough MF options for telephoto that I'm
 okay for the time being, and AF, while nice, certainly isn't necessary
 -- an old OM shot:

http://danielmitchell.net/sg/index.php?gallery=Events/Snow_Jam_Aug_11_2001/halfpipe&image=hp7.jpg

>And it's nice to see my home
>state through someone else's eyes. That waterfall curtain shot is
>especially wonderful. Columbia Gorge?

  Actually, the waterfall is Bridal Veil falls up in BC, which we went
 past on the way across from Calgary:

 http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/bridalveil_falls/

>And maybe the cherries shot isn't
>a true macro, but it's sure big enough for me!

  That's exactly what I found -- I still have the option of using older
 "real" macro lenses if I want to make a special effort, but the 12-50
 goes close enough to let me take photos of small-ish things if I want
 to, while still having a versatile lens for normal use. Another example
 of something I grabbed while hiking:

http://danielmitchell.net/sg/index.php?gallery=Children/11a_Jun_30_hike_grassi_lakes&image=P6300746.jpg

  -- dan