Re: [OM] m42 zuiko on Can*n

Subject: Re: [OM] m42 zuiko on Can*n
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 12:14:09 -0800
On 1/23/2013 7:13 AM, Frank Wijsmuller wrote:
> Just bought one of these Zuiko's: <http://www.pbase.com/image/95819343>
>
> ... I would like to keep the pin *and* focus for infinity.

I think you may misunderstand how the lenses work. "The M42-EOS adapter had to
be turned down so that it cleared the
aperture info pin on the lens. "

I know nothing specific about the Oly FTL or its lenses. What follows is
generic info about M42 lenses with auto
aperture capability.

That is not an 'info' pin, but an aperture operation pin. These cameras had no
idea of the actual aperture setting.
Unless the pin is pressed in, the aperture stays all the way open. The camera
presses it in for TTL metering, if
available in the body, and to close the aperture for exposure.

Because this aperture pin operation was a sort of ad hoc adaptation, thing
aren't always consistent.

For example, there are two kinds of M42 adapters. One ignores the pin. The
other has a flange at the back that presses
the pin in as the lens is screwed into the adapter. It sounds like you may have
cut away the flange on your adapter that
does that.

I have both kinds, as I have an old Tessar, with pre-set aperture operation,
that protrudes too far back to fit in an
adapter with the flange. The other nicely operates the pin on a more modern
lens.

If I fit a later lens with pin in the old style adapter, the aperture ring
doesn't adjust the diaphragm, and it's always
wide open on the Canon body.

UNLESS, it's a lens designed for all bodies. I have an "Auto Image" brand
28/2.8 that has a ring behind the aperture
ring with 'A' and 'M' settings. At the M setting, it pulls the pin in for
manual aperture operation on cameras without
auto aperture capability.

Sooo ... Unless the Oly lenses have a Manual setting, you probably need a new
adapter.

Push My Pin Moose