Re: [OM] (OM) (OT) Vision

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) (OT) Vision
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 07:43:18 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>An unwelcome fact I discovered only 5 hours ago.
>I am developing cataracts in both eyes, and the one in my left eye, my
>erstwhile best eye, is more advanced.
>
>Normally when I remove my spectacles, my eyes acted like magnifying
>glasses, and I could see very sharply close-up. No more.
>
>The clincher came this evening when i looked at the full moon, one eye at a
>time. With my left eye I can see at least 3 moons :-(
>
>That's the way the cookie crumbles ...

     Fortunately, this can be corrected surgically by removing the deteriorated
cornea and replacing it with glass.  It's virtually an outpatient procedure.
I've known people who have had this done and they pretty much recommend having
them done one at a time rather than both at the same time.

     I have heard in the past, though never tracked it down to verify it, that
some types of glass can give you the ability to see the near infrared and
ultraviolet.  That could be pretty cool if it's true, especially the infrared
as it would improve your night vision.

Chris