Re: [OM] (OM) (OT) Vision

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) (OT) Vision
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 20:37:33 -0500
My cataracts were the best thing that ever happened to my vision since I
was in my late 30s or early 40s.  I suppose that sounds strange but they
were getting bad and to the point where I did need cataract surgery.  I
had both eyes done one week apart.  After having cardiac bypass and knee
replacement (and a few other minor things) having cardiac surgery is
almost a non-event.  In and out of the hospital in a matter of hours,
totally unaware of what transpired after my gurney was magically
transformed into the operating table.  The only "negative" was having to
use eye drops very frequently for, IIRC, perhaps a few days after each one.

I remember being amazed walking out of the hospital into bright
sunshine.  Suddenly the whole world was blue (when viewed with the newly
renewed eye) and yellow if viewed with the other.  I had had no idea how
dim and yellow my view of the world had become due to the cataracts.

The next great thing was ditching the custom reading glasses.  My
distance vision wasn't perfect but not bad enough to make me want to
wear glasses for correction.  Now my distance vision is 20/20 without
glasses and I only use glasses for reading.  Off the shelf +2 diopters
work just fine for reading.  I also keep some +2.5 and +3 around in case
I want to look at something closely.

Embrace your cataracts and then ditch them in order to see the brighter
blue world.

Chuck Norcutt