Re: [OM] Return to Point Lobos - Pelicans

Subject: Re: [OM] Return to Point Lobos - Pelicans
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 08:03:27 -0500
I have no particular objections to anything in the shot, but I think I've got a
clue toward solving the mystery of the slightly off look of the pelicans. Not
over sharpening in my estimation. Birds look well sharpened, as I expect in any
Moose photo. If I had to critique (which I don't, but apparently I'm doing it
<g>), I'd say the overall crispness of the picture does not imply any sense of
motion. The pelicans are very close to the surface, and everything is precisely
in its place. If there was just a bit of motion blur in at least one set of
wings, for example, you'd get a sense of forward progress. (But then I'm not
sure the wings were actually pumping. They have a glide look to them.) I'd put
the blame on shutter speed. But that said, with this kind of shot there's no
time to experiment. You've got one chance to get it, and if you don't get it
right, you don't have it. I'd rather have the shot I got than the shot I didn't
get, and overall, there's nothing wrong with this
  shot.

--Low-speed Bob