Re: [OM] The Boys of Winter...

Subject: Re: [OM] The Boys of Winter...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 19:56:05 -0800
On 1/27/2013 3:50 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Sorry, but I was confused with you saying "zone focusing" followed by
> complaints that the camera was not tracking.  That just didn't compute.
>    I guess I'm not surprised that the E-M5 doesn't track well at 300mm
> and a small aperture.  It would be interesting though to know if it can
> track well with a larger aperture.  But I suppose such a thing doesn't
> exist for micro 4/3 at 300mm.

Oly made a great leap forward in AF performance with the E-M5, helped in part
by the complete redesign of all their
lenses for µ4/3. It's like they knew where they were heading before they could
implement the camera body part fully,
designing lenses with v. small, light focusing groups.

Focus speed on still or slow moving subjects is amazing for pure contrast
detect.

As all reviews have noted, it isn't a camera for tracking fast moving sports.
The fastest moving things I've shot lately
are those pelicans, and it did well there.

> I'm not much of an action shooter.  I've never been able to get my Canon
> 5D to track well at even shorter focal lengths and larger apertures.

I wouldn't know! :-) I ran 3200 shots with the 5D, and I can't off hand think
of any of fast moving targets requiring
tracking.

Untraceable Moose