Re: [OM] New Camera, and some Photos Uploaded.

Subject: Re: [OM] New Camera, and some Photos Uploaded.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 11:04:14 -0600
> Connect the iPad, makes sure that it has done a backup, take a hard drive
> backup, then select Reset on the iTunes panel with the iPad connected.

I might add to that that you want to turn off the sync/backup settings
in iTunes preferences. Otherwise, if you get a restore-interruptus, it
won't destroy your backup when you reattach.

> It's possible that there is no fix for the crashes, but it should be better
> after the reset.  The crashes might be conflicts between the standards used
> by Safari on the iPad and those on the websites that you visit.  Consider
> installing another browser, like Opera or Mercury.

These are mostly caused by memory corruption or mapping problems.
There was one iOS upgrade that did not go well for about half the
users and it corrupted the memory. There is also a known memory-leak
issue. The steam-powered iOS devices also had too little RAM set aside
for normal brain activity and the memory-leak would just crater it.

As to using other browsers, the problem there is that all the other
browsers have to access the same subcode that the Safari browser uses.
They are different front-ends, but the back-office code is all the
same. You'll get to different points in your browsing experience
before the crash happens, but it happens.

The final straw for me was that the music player wouldn't work
anymore. Instant crash. It's working now.

Not sure what happened, maybe my settings were screwed up or
something, but a heads up for anybody doing the iPad Mindmeld. My
recent apps didn't backup, but ones that I deleted months ago
reappeared. Fortunately, the store remembers that I already purchased
a couple of them, so I was able to reinstall them without paying
through the schnozz again. I'll check into that. Might be a case where
some stuff was backed up in the iCloud and other stuff was local.
Related to this, I had iTunes and iTuneU content come back that was
long since deleted and recent stuff not there. Nothing fatal, just an
extra hour of work.

And yes, I still like Lance Armstrong.

--
Ken Norton