Re: [OM] Noisy spaces

Subject: Re: [OM] Noisy spaces
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 13:34:17 -0600
> If I wanted things that noisy all the time, I'd shop at Ambercrombie and
> Fitch at the mall, where they have the music so loud it's challenging to
> hold a conversation in front of the entryway.

I sell sound systems and acoustical treatment to churches. It is
always mind-boggling to me how deaf architects are to the value of a
properly designed acoustical space. In the past ten years, I've seen
ONE done correctly from inception. All the rest have had to have
acoustical treatment and modifications done afterwards. What is sad
about this is that it really doesn't cost any more to do it right the
first time. A 300 seat auditorium will take about $5000 additional to
make it near perfect acoustically when built right. However, to get to
that same level of control in a retrofit may run up to $30,000.
Usually, we end up spending another $5000 just to make it usable.

The majority of churches I deal with are of the more modern "rock
concert" style. It doesn't take much for a reflective cube to become a
mush of noise.

I have means of taking drawings and illustrating what the sound will
be like anywhere in the room. I can show people what it sounds like
without acoustical treatment and with acoustical treatment. It can be
a real eye-opener, but more often than not, the people making the
decisions wear hearing aids...

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx