Re: [OM] OT now Apple vs Windoze

Subject: Re: [OM] OT now Apple vs Windoze
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:37:38 -0500
I was going to do the same with my 6 year old 17" screen Dell laptop.
But it runs XP Home Edition and, apart from booting as slow as molasses,
it's performance is generally acceptable.  I might still convert it to
running XP on a 256 GB SSD or maybe move it to Linux.  It's really my
wife's computer now and apart from the slow boot up she seems happy with
it.  But she might also be able to get along with Linux since 95% of her
usage is restricted to Firefox and Thunderbird.  Right now inertia and
lack of complaints from her side leave the status quo in effect.

Incidentally, I upgraded it from 2GB to 4GB and saw very little change
in performance.  It has an Intel dual core processor but at 1.6 GHz both
processors are still pretty slow.  I also suspect that it's fairly rare
for the second processor to do much work.

Chuck Norcutt