Re: [OM] New Camera, and some Photos Uploaded.

Subject: Re: [OM] New Camera, and some Photos Uploaded.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 13:49:58 -0800
On 1/30/2013 7:22 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> It had been running regularly on the park's wi-fi.  I don't know why it
> wasn't connected or whether the iCloud backup procedure had anything at
> all to do with the failure.  In any case it shouldn't have happened.
> The OS should never fail and especially it should never fail due to an
> application.

I'm too lazy to find it/them, but I'm pretty sure Chuck, of this list, recently
wrote about memory errors, lack of
parity bits and checking in contemporary computers, etc.

IPads are computers, they accumulate memory errors. They need to be restarted
once in a while.They are designed to be
comfortably usable by people, like the (grand)mothers just mentioned, to whom
computers are magical devices.

It seems to me they have done a marvelous job, my personal gripes about
interoperability of apps aside, in making them
easy and friendly to use. But the design encourages folks to leave them on all
the time, for months.

Some of them, some of the time, are simply going to get their internal fingers
crossed up. Just turn them off once in a
while, and especially do so at the first sign that something isn't working as
before.

If you have a totally non-tech savvy relative or friend with any sort of smart
phone or tablet, show them how to turn it
all the way off and back on.* Tell them that the magic (No, don't call it
that!) needs to be revitalized by going
through that exercise about once a week.

If they go overboard, and unplug their microwaves, TVs and ...  for five
minutes a week, don't worry about it.

If blood and chicken feathers are involved, invite me to the dinner after. :-)

Sant Oroni Moose

* Or do it for them, as I do for Carol.