Re: [OM] Good service from Fuji

Subject: Re: [OM] Good service from Fuji
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 14:56:11 -0800
On 1/30/2013 10:36 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> I have been fortunate in not needing much camera service during the past few
> years.

As have I. My only digital camera needing repair occurred in July, 2001.
Perhaps the very best service is building
devices that don't fail. :-)

> ... I got on the web page of their warranty service in Barcelona, registered
> the defect online on 15th January, and downloaded the shipping labels. The
> next day a private delivery company picked up the package, free of charge of
> course, and during the following days I was able to follow the repair on
> Fuji's web site. Finally, it was shipped to me yesterday and arrived in my
> office this afternoon. The entire lens assembly was replaced and the camera
> was CLA'd. Everything appears to be normal again.

My experience with my Canon S100 in 2001 was much the same. I was concerned
because a complex plastic ring, part of the
lens extension/ focusing mechanism, had broken. I had slipped on some old, wet
wood next to Moosehead Lake in the rain.
I caught my balance by throwing my arms out, rather violently. I couldn't see
what it could have hit, didn't recall
feeling, and could see no external marks from, any impact. So I concluded that
simple inertial shock from the sudden
stop at the end of my arm had done it. (Yes, of course I took it apart so see
what was wrong, but left no signs.)

Canon paid for shipping both ways and very quickly replaced the lens mechanism
under warranty.

Serviceable Moose