[OM] Windoze 8

Subject: [OM] Windoze 8
From: Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:04:04 +0000
Tina Manley [1]<images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Subject: Re: [OM] Windoze version [was now Apple vs Windoze]
To: Olympus Camera Discussion [2]<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I've never had a problem with XP or 7.  I skipped Vista. I have 8 but
haven't installed it.  I'm not sure all of my programs are compatable.  Not
all of them are compatable with Windows 7/64 so I'm also running 7/32.  I'm
not sure how that works for Windows 8.  I have to read a lot more before
I'll install it.

Tina
Be aware that Windows 8 will not always install on an older computer that is app
arently suitable.  I am running Vista 32 bit and wanted to try Windows 8 to see
if it would solve some problems networking with my wife's Windows 7 64 bit machi
ne.  No joy.
The preliminary checks in the install process state my base unit is not suitable
 although it seems to meet the criteria set in the accompanying text.  One possi
bility suggested by a friend is that it might be worth trying a BIOS update but
I am not yet ready to risk trying that.  This problem has not cost me money sinc
e I downloaded a free trial, beta, version, and then tried to accept the low cos
t (25UKP?) download of the 'finished' product  offered direct from MS.  Neither
software would proceed with the install.   A web search suggested that I am not
alone in having had this problem.

Brian Gray