Re: [OM] imgs: from the slow train to Amsterdam

Subject: Re: [OM] imgs: from the slow train to Amsterdam
From: "Nathan Wajsman" <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 15:08:12 +0100 (CET)
I don't know...I use the low-cost airlines a lot, but also the trains here
in Spain and abroad, and they are fine. Even the UK ones have improved
lately, at least the parts I use with reasonable frequency
(London-Bath-Bristol-Cardiff).

To get home from Brussels on Thursday afternoon, I will take a train from
Brussels-Midi, just a few metro stations away from the Commission where I
will be in meetings during the morning. That train will bring me directly
to Schiphol in under 1.5 hours, and from there I have a direct flight home
to Alicante a couple of hours later.

The alternative would have been to spend another night in Brussels and
take an obscenely early morning flight on Friday. Not my favourite option
:-)

Cheers,
Nathan

Op Vr, 1 februari, 2013 14:58, schreef iwert bernakiewicz:
> 2013/2/1 Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>>>And Frank: the story about the fyra: I choose from the start not to
>>>take it, 280% more expensive for an unpredictable service that could
>>>be 15 minutes faster for my total trip, no thank you... so now I'm on
>>>the slow train.
>>>
>>>Nathan, I hope it will be all right (or was all right?) the Thalys is
>>>also notorious for being late.
>>>

>>      How I envy you having passenger train service.  Last one I rode was
>> the TGV (orange and silver livery) from Geneva to Paris in 2000.
>>
>> Chris
>> --
>
> It used to be very well organized over here, with good connections
> throughout Europe, trains going from Moscow to Brussels to Ostend,
> from Brussels to Marseille, we even had a direct connection to Zurich
> from Brussels. Now all this is gone and replaced by fragmented private
> 'fast' connections (but they do not connect to each other, so much of
> the speed is lost in transition) with obligatory reservations. I
> remember the time you could simply think: of to (fill in any capital
> in Europe) and hop on the train and arrive smack in centre town. There
> is one alternative: discount low quality air-travel brings you to an
> airport 10-20km into oblivion with mostly no public transport.
>
> Iwert
> --

Nathan Wajsman
photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx