Re: [OM] IMG: January Surprise

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: January Surprise
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 10:04:13 -0600
> Think Sulla. when people such as Julius Caesar threatened the stability of
> centuries of tradition--and took advantage of the dictator
> "clause,"--something had to be done. That triggered the last in a series of
> civil wars that ended when Caesar's rather ruthless nephew Octavian
> solidified power and transformed himself into the Emperor Augustus. He did so
> in the name of stability, and promoting tradition and the best ideals of the
> Roman Republic.

I believe that Julius Ceasar (not to be confused with Orange Julius or
Little Ceasars) was really a product of his generation. The dictator
"clause" had been instituted over and over again before he ever became
the "hipster" of his generation. By the time he "crossed the Rubicon"
the shock of what he did was really minor compared to most activities
of the time. The repeated self-appointment of "dictator" pretty muched
bugged Cicero more than anybody else. And Cicero was a lot like a Tea
Party politician. Whether he was part of the assisination plot or not,
he didn't seem too opposed to it.

What is scary is that we see attempts in our own governments of
similar activities that doomed the Roman Republic.

Clodius Schnozz