Re: [OM] The Seamy Underbelly [and still HDR question]

Subject: Re: [OM] The Seamy Underbelly [and still HDR question]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 13:36:35 -0800
On 2/1/2013 12:24 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Does this mean that I should feed raw files to "merge to HDR" and do
> exposure corrections afterward?

Isn't that really two questions?

Isn't one point* of HDR to take bracketed exposures and combine them to get
increased DR? So why would one alter the
exposure of the inputs? This use of HDR is, in fact, "exposure correction", of
a sort, isn't it?

Maybe the brackets have to be symmetric around the one that's correct for
middle tones? Or does PS know that from the
EXIF exposure info? I suspect that's what their slightly obscure write-up is
trying to say. Ctein's write-ups on digital
camera exposure info on TOP recently say that the info needed is there in the
EXIF.

The second question is one Mike raised. Does the HDR reading of Raw files use
or ignore exposure adjustment info in the
sidecar files? Why speculate? It's easy enough to test. But I have only played
very briefly with HDR some time ago and
don't care enough about the answer to do testing.

So far,I'm not a fan of HDR. If too much DR is compressed into an on-screen
image or print, and especially if the sort
of subject and light is familiar, it seems my eyes/visual system recognize the
light as unnatural. As that's seldom the
effect I'm looking for, it's of little use to me, as yet.

Just because something can be done doesn't necessarily mean it should be done.
;-)

One Shot Moose

* The other being to make an image look unnatural in a cool way. ;-)