Re: [OM] imgs: from the slow train to Amsterdam

Subject: Re: [OM] imgs: from the slow train to Amsterdam
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 14:37:07 -0700

> Chris - the high-speed network in Spain is already standard gauge.

    Ah, I did not know that.  All this time I had thought that the AVE was
made to the Spanish gauge.  This makes things much simpler.  Perhaps they'll
extend it to Lisbon some day, provided Portugal does not sink into the
Atlantic.

> However there is a connection to the legacy gauge on the extension to
> Malaga - see http://www.vialibre-ffe.com/pdf/Track_gauge_changeover.pdf
>
> The high-speed lines across Europe also have to manage different
> voltages iirc from 750Vdc to 10000Vac, several different platform
> heights, and of course in the UK they drive on the other side (hence
> the crossover in the middle of the Channel Tunnel).
>
> Clever technology.

    That was a real problem for the Thalys, and I've read that the power
units are a really exotic multi-votage power converter.

Chris