Re: [OM] The Seamy Underbelly [and still HDR question]

Subject: Re: [OM] The Seamy Underbelly [and still HDR question]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 15:58:46 -0600
> So far,I'm not a fan of HDR. If too much DR is compressed into an on-screen
> image or print, and especially if the sort
> of subject and light is familiar, it seems my eyes/visual system recognize
> the light as unnatural. As that's seldom the
> effect I'm looking for, it's of little use to me, as yet.

HDR in architectural photography is a given. But in landscape
photography, I'm finding it more of a crutch than a real
solution--except in some extreme circumstances.

Where I do find HDR helpful is when I want to have more shadow detail
or highlight detail than what shadow/highlight recovery will give me.
Using shadow recovery, I'll sometimes run into the digital noise
problem Zones I-III if I've lifted them too much. The E-1 is really
good about this as there is substantial dithering noise to assist the
last two bits, but most digital cameras hand you your hat at that
point.

What is a HUGE no-no for me is when HDR is used and the midtones
aren't mapped naturally. The highlights and shadows can be heavily
compressed, but PLEASE don't screw up the midtones.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx