Re: [OM] Cyber Combat

Subject: Re: [OM] Cyber Combat
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 20:39:00 -0800
I've got lots of experience with Ubuntu and Fedora, less so with Mint. Any
of the previous work quite well.

Fedora is more "pure" (according to some) in that they don't include
anything not freely usable, but then that means having to find alternate
places from which to get the variously non-pure, somehow encumbered items.
There's fewer and fewer of those necessary, and it's not difficult.

I use Fedora on both work and home desktops every day. We install Ubuntu
for student machines because it's somewhat easier and because there's less
fiddly tinkering across the various machines.

The nice thing about Fedora is that there's a nice progression possible:
Fedora (unsupported, sometimes too-bleeding-edge personal use, totally
free) to CentOS (unsupported, stodgily stable, for servers, freely usable)
to RedHat Enterprise Linux (fully supported, very stable, but requires paid
support subscription--and it's stellar support, I can testify). All are
from RedHat, actually, with Fedora being the "futures" development branh
that leads, eventually, to CentOS or RHEL.

As for Windows, after they refused support (for which I was willing to pay,
even) unless I paid for a new version of one of their applications
(something like $250 at the time) that they wouldn't guarantee would help
cure the issue, I dumped the bahstids  and went to an early version of
Fedora. It takes not long at all to learn that the average person doesn't
need Microsoft (or Apple!) at all and can still accomplish everything he or
she is likely to need to do.

For the few cases where one cannot accomplish something without Microsoft,
one can always install XP (or even later versions) in a VM (trivially
easily done, with Virtual Box) and have both, with Windows walled off where
it can be called upon when absolutely necessary, and where a VM snapshot
allows one to instantly return to a stable version when it inevitably gets
infected or otherwise pukes all over itself.

Mint, by the by, is Debian/Ubuntu based so there's not a whole lot other
than the Desktop Environment different between the two.

Personally, I run the KDE version of Fedora, because I haven't ever liked
the default Gnome desktop all that much.

As to forks... well, Chucks right. Some folks fork over the slightest
thing, but most of the mainstream Distros have been around a long while
now, and the major applications are the same way. And Linus still rules
over the Kernel, so there's rarely ever serious breakage of those drivers
accepted into the kernel line.

Best bet is to download and make DVDs or bootable sticks for some of the
mainline distros, and see what appeals or what runs on your hardware best.

---
Scott Gomez