Re: [OM] imgs: from the slow train to Amsterdam

Subject: Re: [OM] imgs: from the slow train to Amsterdam
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 07:26:20 +0100
I have actually been there (on a day trip while visiting Puerto Rico) but did
not notice. Makes sense, though, since this territory has only belonged to the
US since 1917 when it was sold by Denmark, which had been the colonial power
for 200 years or so. But the population of the islands consisted largely of
African slaves and Scottish overseers, few Danes actually moved out there.
Hence English as the language of the islands, and I suppose also the British
driving arrangement. The only traces of Danish influence left today are the
names (for example, the capital is called Charlotte Amalie, after a 17th or
18th century Danish queen).

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman