Re: [OM] IMG: Peugeot UO-8 Restoration Project

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Peugeot UO-8 Restoration Project
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 10:32:19 -0500 (EST)

> >     Last September I came across a pair of wheels hanging from the ceiling
> > of a local bicycle
> > repair shop.  With Rigida, Normandy, and Atom components plus
> > Peugeot/Michelin tyres I knew
> > that they were late 1960's to early 1970's vintage.  I bought that pair of
> > wheels for a scant
> > $20 and the hunt began for other parts needed for building a Peugeot
> > bicycle from that era.
> > I finally happened across a 1968 UO-8 frameset on eBay for a mere $90 total
> > (it cost the
> > seller more that $100 to ship it via FedEx Ground), and yesterday I had it
> > up to the point
> > where all that's needed is the cabling, a chain, and handlebar tape:
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8441422872/in/photostream
> >
> >     This bicycle was new when I was in high school and de Gaulle was
> > president, just before
> > he was escorted to the next flight back to Paris after his infamous "Vive
> > Quebec Libre!" speech.
>

>That's very pretty, Chris

     I might have this completed by the end of this month.  I'm surprised how
quickly it went together after I cleaned up the frameset.  Had to strip down
and rebuild the fork bearings (headset) as all of the old lubricant had dried
out.  Fortunately, I have plenty of experience with stripping down and
rebuilding bicycles such as this, the only thing I haven't done being building
a wheel from scratch.

Chris